Freon is a branded kind of refrigerant and any refrigerant leak, freon or not, should be a concern to you. Air conditioners rely on refrigerant to work, so if yours loses some, it will stop being efficient and possibly stop working altogether. Here are the five symptoms of air conditioner freon leaks and information about what you should do if you get a leak.
What Causes Freon Leaks in Air Conditioners?
The cause of a freon leak is usually pretty simple, a loose connection or a hole in the refrigerant line. This may have been caused by damage, stress, or just time. Improper installation may also cause refrigerant leaks.
Air Conditioner Freon Leaks Symptoms and Signs
The signs and symptoms of a refrigerant leak include:
- Poor performance: Without proper refrigerant, your air conditioner may not produce as much cool air as it is used to. If this is noticeable, you’ll need a professional’s help.
- No cooling at all: Eventually, a refrigerant leak that goes unaddressed will stop cooling.
- Ice on the coils: If your evaporator coil is leaking freon, it may develop ice.
- A hissing sound: Freon leaking through vents and pipes can make a hissing sound as the pressurized freon passes through a small gap or hole.
- Longer cooling cycles: When the air conditioner doesn’t have the refrigerant that it needs to work efficiently, it may run for much longer, wasting energy.
Does a freon leak have a smell? It depends on the specific type of refrigerant. Some smell mildly sweet or mildly acidic similar to nail polish remover.
Do you think your air conditioner might be leaking? Our team at Dunn Heating ClimateCare can help – give us a call today.
How to Check for Freon Leak in Home AC
Other than the signs above, is there a way to check if your home air conditioner has a freon leak? Not really. You’ll need to call the professionals, who have the equipment to find and handle refrigerant leaks.
Does freon leak when the air conditioner is off? Yes, it can leak even when the air conditioner is not being used. That means that you should get a refrigerant leak fixed any time of the year, not just in the spring and summer when you need your air conditioner to work.
What to Do About a Freon Leak?
If you suspect that your air conditioner is leaking refrigerant, then you should reach out to professional HVAC technicians who can discover the leak and fix the problem.
The professionals at your Dunn Heating ClimateCare can help you with your air conditioner refrigerant concerns. We can find and fix leaks for good, restoring your air conditioner to its usual function. Reach out to our experts today.